If you’ve ever lived in a dormitory or apartment, you know how crucial it is when you move out to avoid those extra fees for cleaning and repairs that the management had to do in your space to make it ready for the next person. After all, you already pay so much for rent in DC – end-of-term charges don’t help that at all! Whether you’re moving out next month or next year, here are a few suggestions for decor that will keep your building management – and your bank account – happy.
- Use adhesive Velcro backing to hang up photo frames. This is especially helpful if you can’t nail anything into your walls.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper. If you can’t paint your walls, don’t worry! You can still add color with wallpaper decals like these. You could even put these on your appliances, like this refrigerator.
- Wall decals. Already have a great wall color? Etsy is full of wall decals that you can add. You can get quotes, images, or lots of little decals to arrange in a pattern.
- Decorate your cabinets with wrapping paper. This sound way more complicated/tacky than it actually is. Here’s a photo of how I decorated mine back in sophomore year:
- Line the backs of your bookshelves. There’s no reason why your bookshelf should be boring – that’s no way to treat the piece of furniture that holds your Harry Potter collection, right? Check out some great tips on bookshelf lining here.
Are you going to try some of these out? Be sure to let us know how it goes in the comments below, and like our Facebook page to stay updated on our posts!
Until next time,